B.A. in Music is a 3-year undergraduate course in music. Music comprises a combination of vocal music, instrumental music and various dance forms. Major course components involve:
· music theory
· music interpretation
· history of music
· music composition
· voice instruction, etc.
The course aims to build in eligible candidates:
· foundation in music literature and history.
· musical (vocal & instrumental) skills.
The basic eligibility for pursuing the course is a 10+2 or equivalent qualification in any stream, completed from a recognized educational Board of the country. Music should have been an elective subject at the 10+2 level of education. For those not having studied Music as an elective subject, qualification of an audition/ aptitude test is an option.Such graduates are hired in capacities such as:
· Artist & Repertoire (A&R) Person
· Band Leader
· Music Attorney
· Assistant Art Director
· Concert Promoter
· Disc Jockey
· Film Music Director/Editor
· Music Critic
· Advertising Specialist
· Studio Musician
· Music Teacher
· Recording Technician
· Music Publisher
· Writer/Music Journalist etc.
B.A. in Music: What is it About?
Students enrolled to the course are prepared to:
effectively work as:
1. music educators
2. music therapists
4. music composers/ conductors.
5. teach, perform, and research in music.
Ideal candidates for the course would possess:
· good communication skills
· technical skills
· critical reflection
· awareness of professional ethics in the arts world
· understanding of different perspectives and cultures
· understanding of music in community projects
· world/ethnic traditions related to music.
Eligibility for B.A. in Music
Listed below are the minimum criteria which candidates interested in pursuing the course are required to fulfil, in order to be eligible to apply for the course.
· 10+2 education completed in any stream from a recognized educational Board.
· Preferably, Music as an elective subject at the 10+2 level.
· A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the 10+2 level.
· Basic proficiency in Music.
B.A. in Music: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the 10+2 level.
Some such entrance tests held in the country for admission to the course are:
· BMI University Lucknow Entrance Exam
· Annamalai University Entrance Exam
· BHU Performing Arts Entrance Exam
· Bangalore University Entrance Exam
· Gandharva Mahavidyalaya Entrance Exam
· Chennai Government College of Music Entrance Exam
· Indian Institute of Fine Arts Entrance Exam
· Mahatma Gandhi University Entrance Exam
· KU – Faculty of Arts Entrance Exam
· University of Delhi – The Faculty of Music and Fine Arts Entrance Exam.