Alagappa University is located at Karaikudi in Tamil Nadu is accessible from Madurai (Code : IMX) and Tiruchirappalli (Code : TRZ) airports within two hours. The 440 acre green and lush campus houses all the academic activities. This University has emerged from the galaxy of institutions initially founded by the great philanthropist and educationist Dr. RM. Alagappa Chettiar during 1950's.
Alagappa University was brought into existence by a Special Act of the Government of Tamil Nadu in May 1985 with the objective of fostering research, development and dissemination of knowledge in various branches of learning. Alagappa University is recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) of India. The University has 44 Departments, 9 Centres and 2 Constituent Colleges on its campus. 46 Affiliated Colleges located in the districts of Sivaganga and Ramanathapuram are part of the University. Of which one Autonomous College and one Alagappa University Model Constituent College of Arts and Science are located in Kilakkarai and Paramakudi respectively.
The University offers education through Regular, Week-end, Distance and Collaborative modes. Through all modes of education, the University caters to the needs of the student community of around 1.12 lakhs.
As a member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), as well as the member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), it has rewarding relations with other academic institutions, research laboratories and industrial establishments that promise a spectacular future
The University is having International Collaborations with Universities / Institutions of Higher Learning in countries like U.S.A, UK, Australia, Singapore, China, Malaysia and South Korea. Innovative programmes are designed and offered at the University for the foreign students. 41 international exchange programmes attract the attention of the teachers and students from abroad.
The University's motto is "Excellence in Action" and the University keeps before it the vision of excellence in all spheres of its action.
In order to promote quality education, the MHRD has taken several initiatives and they expect the institutions to attain good position in various parameters such as (i) Accreditation by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with good grade, (ii) Categorization of Institutions by MHRD-UGC, (iii) Autonomy Status by MHRD-UGC, (iv) NIRF Rank within 50, (v) Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) Grant and (vi) Institution of Eminence (IOE) Status.
Alagappa University has achieved many milestones. A few of them are as under;
· Obtained A+ Grade with CGPA of 3.64 grading by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). Alagappa University is the first State University in Tamil Nadu to obtain the A+ grade.
· Obtained Category–I status by the MHRD-UGC and occupies 2nd place out of 12 State Universities with Category-I Status in the Country. It is the only State University in Tamil Nadu obtained the Category-I Status.
· Obtained Autonomy status (one among 60 Institutions in the country announced by MHRD).
· Secured 28th position among Universities in National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) 2019 ranking.
· Secured 20th position in QS India Ranking, 104th position in QS BRICS Ranking and 216th position in QS Asia Ranking 2019.
· The University has secured 4th position in Swachhta Ranking 2018 for the cleanest Higher Educational Institutions in the Country in the category of Government Institutions.
· The University has obtained ISO 9001-2015 certification based on the quality measures in higher education.
· The University has bagged Indian Association for the Blind (IAB) Silver Zone Award for outstanding excellence and amazing contribution for the empowerment of persons with Visual Challenges.
· It is the only University in Tamil Nadu which has been sanctioned Rs.100 crores under MHRD - RUSA 2.0 Scheme.
Owing to these achievements, Alagappa University is the only State University in Tamil Nadu which fulfilled all the requirements of MHRD in the context of quality higher education.